Back Pain Doctors Located in Edison, NJ and Union, NJ
If you’re suffering from back pain, know that you’re not alone. Nearly nine out of 10 Americans experience this health condition at some point in their lives, and it only trails upper respiratory infections as a reason to visit the doctor. For those under 40, back pain is the primary cause of missed work and immobility. In fact, back discomfort disables roughly two percent of the American workforce at any given time.
If you have any level of back pain, get a firm diagnosis and effective treatment from top back pain doctors to keep you on the job and active. Find relief in northern New Jersey at Redefine Healthcare, your source for the latest pain management techniques. You can finally stop your search for a “back pain specialist near me” and call injury doctor in NJ, Dr. Freeman for an appointment. A board-certified “back doctor near me” who will not only help you with your pain but also employs the latest cutting-edge back pain treatments.
Your spine serves as the primary corridor for all sensations and movement in your body. The nerves, muscles, ligaments, bones, and cartilage of your back and spine are all subject to disease and injury. While there is a range of conditions that cause back pain, it usually involves:
- Sciatica. This condition describes the pain tracing the path of the sciatic nerve. It begins in your back and stretches through the buttocks down to your thigh, although it usually only affects one side of the body.
- Lower back pain. The pain can be sudden and sharp or a persistent, enduring ache. Acute low back ache tends to last from a few days to one month. Subacute pain ranges from four to 12 weeks. Chronic pain lasts longer than three months. About one in five cases of acute pain develops into chronic pain.
- Upper back pain. Although less common than lower back pain, upper back pain can be just as uncomfortable. The pain focuses on your shoulders and neck.
- Middle back pain. The pain in this area centers around problems with your thoracic spine. Mid-back pain may be a symptom of something more serious.
Back Pain Symptoms
Since some of the symptoms of the back pain also are symptoms of more serious conditions, however, you should see your local pain management specialist or our New Jersey back pain doctors like Dr. Freeman if the symptoms worsen.
Come visit any of our six New Jersey pain relief locations to meet the best in class, top rated back pain specialist Dr. Freeman and his team of highly skilled pain treatment physicians. For over 20 years our back pain treatment doctors in Edison, NJ and Union, NJ provide an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan for an effective and fast acting pain relief.
Depending on its location and cause, this health condition manifests as:
- Lingering muscle aches
- Sudden stabbing sensations
- An agonizing burn down your leg
- Numbness and tingling down your leg
- Pain that’s aggravated by lifting, leaning or standing for extended periods
- Pain that subsides while laying down
Seek immediate medical attention if you experience symptoms that accompany your back pain, including:
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- A recent injury, fall or accident
Enduring these symptoms regularly can really ruin your quality of life and prevent you from completing normal daily activities. Return to a pain-free life by searching for the best “back pain doctor near me” to get the relief you deserve. Only a trained back pain specialist like Dr. Freeman, using advanced diagnostic tools, can make an accurate diagnosis of the source of your pain.
Back Pain Causes
As there are many different types of back pain, there are also several different causes. Determining the correct diagnosis means you will get the correct care. Any doctor can treat your symptoms, but only an expert New Jersey back pain doctors in Edison and Union NJ like Dr. Freeman can pinpoint the reason for your pain and take steps to treat it at its source.
Some of the most common include:
- Herniated disc. The discs that cushion and separate your vertebral bones have a tough outer layer with a soft center. When these discs rupture, either through damage or aging, the soft core leaks out of the casing. A herniated disc creates a pinched nerve that causes discomfort.
- Back injury. Accidents, falls, overexertion and athletic strains are among the most common types of injuries to the back.
- Spinal stenosis. The spinal canal shrinks, compressing your spinal column.
- Osteoarthritis. The spine develops bone spurs and loses stability.
- Soft tissue strain. Repetitive movements at work or play — or a sudden exertion that leads to a pulled back — can strain or damage spinal ligaments or back muscles.
- Scoliosis. A congenital malformation of the spine, this condition leads to back pain later in life.
- Osteoporosis. This degeneration and weakening of your bones can eventually lead to spinal compression fractures.
- Post-laminectomy syndrome. Failed back surgery can lead to continued or even heightened back pain.
- Spondylolisthesis. This condition refers to the slipping of your vertebrae.
- Myofascial pain syndrome. Often a chronic condition, this muscle tightness responds well to physical therapy.
- Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction. Damage to the joint connecting your pelvis and spine is a leading cause of lower back pain.
If you have any of the conditions above come see our pain management clinic and meet our back pain doctors to get the pain relief you need in the safe, reassuring hands of the best back injury doctors in NJ.
What Types of Treatment Can a Back Pain Specialist Near Me Offer?
If you’re one of the millions of Americans wondering how to relieve back discomfort, you’ve probably been overwhelmed with commercial offers promising pain relief. Back pain treatment has become a $100 billion per year business, and much of it is either deceptive or ineffective. When you search for a “back pain doctor near me”, look for a team of pain management specialists that listens to your concerns and do not brush aside your back problems.
If back pain has become a problem in your life, you need the help of a trained pain relief management specialist with years of experience in the treatment of back pain.
After a careful diagnosis using state-of-the-art techniques, your sports injury clinic Redefine Healthcare doctor develops a back pain treatment program that may include remedies such as:
- Medications. Over-the-counter anti-inflammatories, steroid injections, narcotics, anti-depressants, and topical creams
- Physical therapy. Posture improvement, electrical stimulation, strength exercises, and flexibility stretches
- Surgery. Only for structural problems that don’t respond to other treatments, as a last resort
Frequently Asked Questions
How to relieve lower back pain?
This type of pain can significantly interfere with your quality of life. If this is the case for you, there are multiple treatment options that can help you get relief.
Some of the commonly overlooked but effective options are as follows:
- Release your inner endorphins
- Get enough restorative sleep
- Exercise your core
- Engage your brain
- Find activities that make you happy
- Stretch your hamstrings twice a day
- Soothe the pain with cold and/or hot
If your pain is severe and it does not disappear after a few days of treatment, your best bet would be to consult a neck pain doctor.
How do I know if my back pain is serious?
It is highly recommended to consult a specialist if your pain is severe and it does not improve with rest. Another indicator might be the pain that spreads down one or both legs, especially if it extends below the knee. It would be a good idea to visit a back pain doctor if your pain causes weakness, tingling or numbness in one or both legs.
Are there any alternative back pain treatment options?
There are several alternative therapies that might help relieve back discomfort and they include:
- Chiropractic adjustments
- Relaxation techniques
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
However, before starting any of the aforementioned treatments, you should talk to your back pain doctor.
How is back pain normally diagnosed?
Generally, a physical examination is everything that is needed to diagnose back pain. During this assessment, your doctor will test your ability to stand and walk, your spine’s range of motion, reflexes, leg strength as well as your ability to detect sensations in your legs.
However, if your doctor suspects a serious condition, other tests might also be ordered, including:
- Blood and urine tests to check for underlying conditions
- Computer tomography (CT) scan
- Electromyography (EMG) to test nerve conduction
How to sit properly with lower back pain?
The following recommendations might be extremely helpful if you suffer from lower back pain:
- Sit as little as possible and when you do, sit only for short periods of time (10 to 15 minutes)
- Sit with back support (such as a rolled-up towel) at the curve of your back
- Keep your knees and hips at a right angle
- Use a footrest or stool if necessary
If you’re tired of suffering from back pain, get the treatment you need to get back in the game and back to your normal routines. When you search for the “best back pain specialist near me” you will see that our team not only has the most qualified back doctors but also employ cutting-edge technologies that offer effective pain relief. Contact the best injury doctor in NJ, Dr. Freeman, or his team of back pain treatment doctors and specialists of New Jersey at Redefine Healthcare. Visit one of our six locations in NJ to meet our specialists and return to a pain-free life!
Why Whoose Our Pain Management Clinic in NJ?
In-network, tier-one facility
Comprehensive and compassionate pain care
Convenient locations throughout
Central & Northern NJ
24 hour turnaround on needed notes and documentation
Non-surgical, interventional pain care in Edison, NJ & Union, NJ